Monday, December 28, 2009

12/19/2009

December 19, 2009
Akwaaba! I have made it to Ghana. It is so surreal being here and taking everything in. The amount of things to see and learn and look at are completely overwhelming. Everywhere you turn there are welcoming faces, street vendors, wandering animals, and happy children. The weather is VERY hot and EXTREMELY humid. Today was 90F and 70% humidity.
Both of my flights were very pleasant. While I was in the security line in Cleveland, I mentioned to a man in front of me that I was headed to Ghana, and a Ghanaian couple behind me overheard where I was going and were overjoyed about my trip. We had both of our flights together, so they took me under their wing, and prepared me for my trip. They waited for me and the three other Cross Cultural Solutions volunteers to come off of the plane in Ghana, and they helped us get our baggage. One of the volunteers (Katherine’s) luggage got lost, and the Ghanaian couple helped her claim the lost items. They then helped us find our way to our driver, and took some contact information so that they could keep in touch. I feel so lucky to have met them. What a wonderful example of how kind-hearted almost all Ghanaians seem to be.
Once we found our driver, we loaded our bags up and took a 3.5 hour (air-conditioned) drive to Hohoe where I will be living the next 12 weeks. We had lunch, took a nap and then took a tour of the bustling city. Everywhere you look there are people selling fruit and fish, cutting hair right out on the street, singing and dancing, and enjoying life. Three children, about 5 years old, came up to us today to shake our hands. We shook their hands and said hello, and once we left our tour guide, George, told us that we had just made their day. For children in Ghana, it is a very big deal to shake the hand of a white person. It made me really happy that we were able to put a smile on these children’s faces.
So far the food is wonderful. For dinner we had a type of potato with a tomato sauce on top, plantains, and fresh mango. I talked to another vegan today who advised me to make sure that I am very conscious about getting protein. I am going to try to find a jar of peanut butter tomorrow so that I can take a few spoonfulls and not worry too much about protein.
I also was very excited when I opened up my bags this evening to unpack, and my wonderful Akron friends made me an absolutely gorgeous book. Many of my friends took the time to write me such thoughtful notes. I know that I am really going to appreciate having this piece of home with me, and I look forward to looking at the book often and thinking about all the people that I love.
I am really looking forward to settling in and starting to feel familiar with the town and the language. I am feeling out of my element and a bit nervous about this whole being gone for 14 weeks deal. I am sure that once I settle in, the time will fly by. I feel so lucky to be in such a wonderful place with so many great people.
I think that in about a week I will be getting a pre-paid phone so that I will be able to call home and you will be able to call me. The internet here is pretty ‘sketchy’ and it is hard to know when it will work. The electricity also goes out several times a week, so it is hard to know when I will be able to skype or email.
I will be in touch. I love you all!
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment