Sunday, November 8, 2009

Trip to Ghana

While I may not be the most literate blogger, my purpose here is to keep anyone in the world interested in reading updated on my adventure in Ghana.  I will be spending 14 weeks in the Volta Region volunteering with Cross Cultural Solutions and traveling with my mom.  What a wonderful adventure (and a way to prolong getting a real job).  

I will be graduating with my Bachelors degree in Special Education from the University of Akron in December, and then heading away.  

I am a lover, not a hater.

I am a Vegan, which means I don’t eat, wear, or use any animal products or anything tested on animals. Yes, that means no meat, no poultry, no fish, no eggs, no cheese, no milk, no butter, no fur, no leather…you get the point. I cannot give you just one reason for me being vegan. I do it for the animals, I do it for the earth, I do it for the economy and the people who are starving in the world, and I do it for peace of mind. If you want to know more, I love to talk.

I am a special education major at the University of Akron. I have a passion for kids and adults with special needs, and a real soft spot in my heart for those with Down Syndrome.

I love my family and my friends more than anything. They have given me the world.

I am also an anti-war activist. I volunteer for an organization called the American Friends Service Committee. I helped to create and run an Ohio wide exhibit which demonstrates the human cost of war. It displays combat boots for every Ohio soldier who has been killed in the Iraq war, and has civilian shoes which represent the Iraqi civilians who have been killed due to the war and occupation. I also started a counter-recruitment program, in which I tryed to reveal some of the lies and deception that the military recruiters feed our young and vulnerable people to convince them that the military is the best choice for them. I do not tell them not to join, but I encourage them to explore ALL of their options, and I reveal to them the truths about the military. I just recently created a book that is now in print that provides hundreds of resources for scholarships, internships, apprenticeships, skills training, financial aid, and more that youth can use to fulfill their goals using peaceful alternatives.

I am a humanist, rather than a feminist.

I LOVE life! 

I love photography, but I try to remember to put the camera down and observe through my own lenses.

I do not like war, killing, people who use the word “hate”, sexism, racism, homophobia, and the like. I get angry when people use the word “gay” as a bad thing or in a derogatory way. I feel discouraged when people give up hope and feel helpless. 

We are the people who will change the world. No matter how powerful or how weak you are, you can make the difference.

I believe in the hudredth monkey theory, which states that once enough people know something, it becomes common knowledge. Educate, educate, educate. Anything you stand for, teach people. Don’t try to change people, just teach them. There is no excuse for ignorance in this very empowered world.

Find your passion. Live for your passions. Thrive on your passions. These are the things that will pick you up when you are down, will push you forward when you have hit a wall, and show you goodness when all you see is hate and corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment