Thursday, November 12, 2009

On Substitute Teachers

Today, I gained a whole new respect for substitute teachers.  The agony that students put them through is unbelievable!  Middle school is difficult enough, but to be the new teacher in town, whew.  The combination of a sub who does nothing but sit in the back of a room and a student teacher who is new and just beginning to form relationships with and gain the trust of middle school students seemed to be detrimental.  It did not work.  However, it was very interesting to watch what happens to students when the teacher is not in school.  As a student, you don't get that perspective, because you are the perpetrator.  As a teacher, you don't get the perspective because you are not there, hence the sub.  As the student teacher, I got to witness the very swift transformation of model students transforming into out of control, disruptive, and disrespectful children.  Everyday cannot be good in the world of education.  Lets hope that with the return of the teacher tomorrow, I will have my model students back.

The most amazing thing about all of his is, that no matter how bad today was, at the end of it, I still love my job and my life.  I guess that's how you know that you have found your passion.

Love,
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment