Saturday, November 21, 2009

Less than a month...

The time is just flying by.  Student teaching is almost over, college is coming to a close, and my sojourn to Africa is quickly approaching.  It is less than a month away, in fact.  I am trying to balance becoming an excellent teacher and preparing for the trip of my life all at once.  Also on the agenda is seeing everyone I love before I leave.  This is the one that is actually causing me the most anxiety right now.  I am so afraid that I am going to run out of time, and not get to see some important people before I leave.  

I am so grateful for my family, who is not only funding this incredible trip, but are completely supporting me through this last stint of college.  It would be such a huge burden to have to work a job all while teaching 5 days a week.  How did I get so lucky to have such an amazing support system?  

As my trip creeps closer and closer, this is a thought that seems to be invading my brain.  How did I get so lucky?  Between the friends, the family, the support, my health, my education.  When you begin to think about the family that you are born into, the country and state and city that you are born, the home and the school system that you are plopped into, the well being of the body that you are inhabiting...it is all luck.  I have really been embracing this idea, and trying to be very thankful for my complete and utter luck in life.  I want to use my luck to better those who may have not always had this luck on their side.  I want to share the love, and the luck.

On another note, I am really excited for my three day school week next week!  I have a friend who is a very talented magician, and he is coming in to one of my classes to put on a show for them.  I am so excited to introduce my students to magic.  It is something that many of them have never had the opportunity to witness, and believe me, some of these middle school kids need a little bit of fun and imagination in their lives.  It is incredible to see how quickly kids are being forced to grow up.  Students who are already working jobs to help support their families, or missing school so that they can babysit their infant siblings while their single parent works a double shift.  I hope that they enjoy this opportunity to be a kid again.

Please bookmark this blog so that you can follow me on my adventures!

I love you/life!

Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment